NARRATOR MAN. Ashes, ashes and we all fall down! (The moment the word “down” is exclaimed, the whole stage is lit and the only people on the stage are Narrator and Alice, who is Stage L. She is sitting in front of a table, head in hands, breathing heavily. On the table is a stereo which is silent for the moment. Narrator walks over to the table and stares at Alice while leaning on the table.) After obtaining my identification, nicotine wasn’t the only thing I grasped in my angry daze. (Pause.) I spent that whole night…and the next day on that street corner, drunk as if I was some prepubescent boy who was lucky to obtain alcohol. I didn’t harass anyone, didn’t seem like the right thing to do. (Narrator takes a CD case out of one of his pockets. He removes a CD from it and puts it in the stereo. “Frankie” by Mississippi John Hurt begins to come from the stereo.) I love this song. (He pulls up chair to the table and sits to stare at Alice in her volatile condition.) It’s going to be a fun night for you, isn’t it?
ALICE. Why now, Dan?
NARRATOR MAN. (Taken aback. His voice is now kinder and more concerned than anything seen of him so far.) What? (Pause.) Alice, what do you mean?
ALICE. (Beginning to cry and desperately chuckling at some points.) Of all the times.
NARRATOR MAN. (Standing up and getting closer to her.) C’mon, baby, you know I was just confused.
ALICE. Unforgivable.
Narrator stares at her with a very desperate expression. The scene progresses with Alice still breathing heavily and the Narrator staring at her, examining the intricacies of her face. A loud knock is heard at the door. Narrator and Alice both lift their heads from their respective dazes,
NARRATOR MAN. (Looks back to Alice.) You have a visitor.
ALICE. (Still crying, but her well of tears is beginning to dry up. Also screaming.) Who is it?!?
Due to the volume of her yelp, Narrator scoots back in his chair a little. Pause. Dan speaks from outside the door in not so much of a drunken slur, but more in a creepy, rough throat voice. The door is offstage Stage R.
DAN. Why’re you screaming, my sunshine?
ALICE. (As she starts to get up from the chair.) …Daniel?
Narrator stands right up, hands planted on the table.
NARRATOR MAN. Why must you insist on calling me that? Is it you attempt to make me formal? Socially acceptable? Huh? (Follows her as she walks to the door.) Look at this suit! It’s dignified enough to die in!
Alice answers the door and Dan stumbles on in. He’s drunk, still holding some empty bottle or can. He strays throughout the room until he reaches Stage R. While he wanders, Alice follows him about the room frequently trying to begin sentences and stalling each time. He turns around to her and stares her in the face.
DAN. (Nearly whispering.) You’re pretty…
Dan then forces himself upon her. It is not a sexual violation, but rather a forced kiss. As soon as his lips hit hers Narrator cringes and sighs as if he has just seen someone take a beating. After it goes on for a very short time, Alice shoves him into the chair she was sitting in previously. Everything freezes. Narrator begins to walk front center stage as he talks.
NARRATOR MAN. (In a proclamation type nature of yelling.) Now two different things could happen here my friends.
Everything unfreezes.
ALICE. (Seeming very aroused by the situation.) Oh, Dan, I never knew you had it in you…
Everything freezes again.
NARRATOR MAN. The next, my dear friends, is the reality..
Narrator walks over to the table where the stereo is and turns off the music. The moment he pauses the music everything unfreezes.
ALICE. You piece of shit! You have the gall to come in here and host drunken, putrid body upon me? You think you’ve got a lot to deal with? He died on MY FUCKING FLOOR! (Long pause.) Besides, you didn’t even really mean what you just did! Next time that you find someone who can bear to be with you for more than five minutes, try to keep your own personality intact without becoming them!
There is a short pause.
DAN. (Struggling to scream coherently through his still apparent drunken slur.) What the hell is that supposed to mean?
ALICE. What do you think I mean? Your pathetic little drug habits were John’s pathetic little drug habits. Not only that, but you’re clearly only “in love” (She does the little quote pantomime with her fingers when she says “in love.”) with me because John was always hanging on my shoulder like some drug addled monkey. Now that he’s gone, you’re thinking that my shoulder is looking awful comfortable!
Alice just sighs and holds her forehead, not knowing quite how wrong and destructive a statement she just made. Dan looks shocked and slowly gets up from his seat. He is nearly whispering now.
DAN. Alice. Alice…(Pause.) Alice! (When she still isn’t looking up he throws his bottle against the wall on Stage R.) ALICE, listen to me! (She now looks scared, but attentive.) If you think for one minute that John fucking you had anything to do with me loving you, then I don’t even know if he’s actually dead! (Pause.) You could be hiding him in the basement and this is some funny little birthday joke! You’re delusional, Alice.
The both stand in silence. Dan then stomps out and Alice begins to cry. It isn’t a sob. It is the tearless cry that somebody would force themselves to make them feel better. The stage goes dark, except for center stage, where the Narrator stands.
NARRATOR MAN. That was quite a scene, wasn’t it?
Pause. The stage then goes dark for a short period of time and when light is brought to the whole stage and the Narrator is still standing where he was, seeming to be having a staring contest with the floor. Dan comes from offstage R, drunkenly singing some song too incoherently to be understood and carrying another bottle. At about middle stage, he trips and falls. Narrator is unfazed and continues to look at the floor. Dan then crawls to the back wall and sits up against it, taking swigs from his bottle. Narrator looks up, takes a breath and walks over to Dan. Once he reaches him, he crouches down and stares him in the face like he is talking to a small child. However, he is talking to the audience.
NARRATOR MAN. I strayed around like this…drunk, for a couple (Pause.) several days. I can’t quite remember how many. I believe I did get in a fight with some unlucky individuals who happened to pester me with their breathing. They might as well have killed me. I recall waking up on my couch with several bottles strewn about my room and my door was wide open. (After he says this, Dan lies down and he stands up, facing the audience again.) My phone rang many times, but it was never worth it to get up. Not a single message was left until the very call when my machine finally took that call.
We hear Dan’s voice come from the answering machine saying “You’ve reached the machine. Now you’re here. So leave a message for me, ya big ol’ queer.” The Narrator smiles when the voice message begins to play. He mouths along to “ya big ol’ queer.” Alice’s voice comes through after the beep and the sound of her sighing.
ALICE. (Her voice is trembling. While she’s speaking, takes out the first cigarette he has taken out for while and lights it.) Daniel… (Narrator cringes and shivers. Alice’s tears begin interrupting her speech.) John’s parents let me know when John’s funeral was. (Pause.) It’s being held in that big church downtown. (Pause.) You know? The one that looks like old gothic architecture? It was the one that you and John used to jump onto from the roof of the apartment complex next to it. I would always be yelling at you two. (Narrator and Alice let out a desperate chuckle in unison. Long pause.) I’ll just pick you up. It’s in two days.
Dan struggles to get up and when he gains a somewhat stable stance, he walks off Stage L. Once there is no sign of him, the Narrator takes his same miserable, defeated posture on the ground. Pause.
NARRATOR MAN. Sounds like a party.
The whole stage darkens slowly. A few seconds later, the stage lights up again. It doesn’t light slowly though. It comes on as fast and as bright as if someone had turned on a bright light in a darkened house. The Narrator is standing front center stage, holding his arm in front of his face because of the brightness. The light begins to dim back to normalcy. Narrator lowers his arm from his face.
NARRATOR MAN. It was a long two days. Day One. (He raises his pointer finger.) I’d order out for all three meals and I had only left the apartment twice in order to creep a block to the liquor store. Obviously, I’d lost my job by this time due to the, you know (Pause.) wandering drunkenness. (Long Pause) Day Two. (He sticks up his first two fingers like a peace sign.) I didn’t eat anything. I received a call to my parents, my mother specifically, saying that they’d be showing up to John’s funeral and that Alice had told them about it. (For some reason, this is the first voice in the entire play that Narrator has imitated himself.) “Son? Son? I know you’re there. Could you please answer? We’ll be going to your friend’s funeral tomorrow. John, that’s it. It’s so sad. I’ll be glad to see you though! I’m just sorry it has to come at such a horrible time.” (Pause. He yells to back offstage, in the tone of voice you would use to call a dog.) Danny Boy! I’ve got nothing more to say! Give me some wood for my fire why dontcha?
The rest of the stage is lit. Behind him, Dan & Alice appear sitting in two chairs, next to each other. These chairs are supposed to be illustrating a car. There are two empty chairs behind them, representing the backseat. Both of them are well dressed in black. Dan is similarly dressed to the Narrator. Narrator walks up to them and sits in the backseat.
NARRATOR MAN. Say something! I’m getting bored back here!
Long Pause
ALICE. Listen, John.
Both Dan and Narrator’s eyes widen and Alice realized the little “Freudian slip” she just made. She quickly focuses her attention right back to the road.
NARRATOR MAN. (Yelling.) Whoa, there! Did you hear that? (Narrator gets up from backseat and bends over to speak into Dan’s ear. He has a sinister smile creeping across his face.) First, she says you’re the monkey to his organ grinder and now…well, I don’t need to reiterate that for you. (Pause. Dan is just breathing heavily, trying to “keep his cool.”) C’mon man, let her have it. She’s been doing this the whole time you’ve known her. “Your clothes make you look like a faggot, Daniel.” “Did you take a shower this morning?” She doesn’t even care enough about you to construct an insult of merit. All you’ve ever done to her is love her, haven’t you? (You can see Dan’s face become progressively angrier and angrier while Narrator is saying all of this and breathing somewhat faster, but never louder.) It’s time to end this, Dan. Do it for both of us! (Screaming.) I want to be at peace!
Narrator walks back a few feet away from the “car.”
ALICE. Daniel, are you okay?
NARRATOR and DAN. (Screaming in unison.) Don’t call me Daniel!
“Car” screeches to a halt. Alice turns to Dan.
ALICE. What’s gotten into you? Daniel, I don’t know what probl-
NARRATOR and DAN. (Same as before.) My problem? You’re the one with the problem!
DAN. You take the ones who love and adore you and stomp their withered souls as if they were ants. You wanna know the reason that John & I were “abusing” ourselves more lately? Huh? (When he says “abusing,” he makes quotation marks with his fingers.)
Pause. Dan is breathing heavily.
NARRATOR and DAN. It was you!
DAN. (His voice is lowered, but still just as angry. Speaking fast.) Your incessant urge to change people. To keep them perfect. You wanna know why John died?
NARRATOR and DAN. It was you!
Long pause. Dan is breathing heavily. This scolding confession has winded him. Narrator walks over Dan, speaking into his ear again.
NARRATOR MAN. Good job, m’boy.
Alice begins to open her mouth to speak when Dan stands up next to his seat. He looks to Alice.
DAN. I’ll walk to the church.
Narrator and Dan walk up to front center stage. The back of the stage, where Alice still sits, is darkened. Both the Narrator and Dan take packs of cigarettes out of their pockets, take some out and light them. Pause.
NARRATOR and DAN. This is going to kill me.
Dan walks into the darkness of the back of the stage. Narrator stands there and stares off into space for a while, occasionally taking a drag on his cigarette. A smile begins to creep across his face.
NARRATOR MAN. I will never forget that little moment of defendable hubris. It was utter ecstasy. I almost wanted to grab John’s carcass and tell him all that had just happened. I wanted to take him and feed his cold, lifeless body whatever drugs I had in my back pocket. In hopes to resurrect him, of course. (His smile degenerates.) But that wasn’t going to happen. I remember walking through the door of that funeral home, the screaming red of Alice’s car, telling me that she was here. The ecstasy didn’t necessarily go away, but I knew that I had to let people know that I was still mourning his death, even through my victory, because (Pause.) you can’t be grinning like a Jack-o-Lantern at a funeral, can you?
He looks to the audience as if he expects a response. He lowers his shoulders and looks down in disappointment. The whole stage is lit, revealing a table with a vase of flowers, a framed picture of John and a small tin case, containing John’s ashes. Alice and Dan are at each end of the table in dejected stances, staring at John’s picture and ashes. At the wall Stage R, there is a table with a few bottles of wine, paper cups and small hors d’oeuvres. At the wall of Stage L, there are two chairs. Narrator starts half-crying with his head in one of his hands. He throws away his cigarette.
NARRATOR MAN. His body wasn’t there.
Alice and Dan both walk away from the table. Alice sits in one of the chairs. Dan walks over to the table and pours himself a cup of wine. He downs it in one gulp and pours himself another. The Narrator takes his head out of his hand and begins to look around. His eyes widen when the wine has caught his attention. He walks up to the table and pours himself a cup, finishing it in one gulp as well. He pours himself another cup. Two people come from offstage R. They are Dan’s mom and dad. Dan’s dad looks disheveled in his haphazard beige, almost disrespectful suit. He has a cane supporting his right leg. Dan’s mother has a small purse around her shoulder. She is wearing a nice and polite black dress. She is looking around for Dan and her eyes catch Alice first. They stare at each other for a little while until Alice points over to Dan. His mother begins to walk over to him and his father slowly and reluctantly follows. Once she reaches him, she puts her hand over his shoulder. He finishes his cup before turning around to greet them.
DAN. Hello, mother. (He turns around.) Hey, dad.
His dad nods his head, sort of ignoring his greeting.
MOM. I’m so sorry, honey. (She takes Dan in her arms, tightly hugging him.) This is so horrible. We liked your friend so much, didn’t we, Robert?
Dad still remains stationary, looking around the room. Dan and Mom wait for him to respond for a little, but then Mom turns back to Dan. Narrator finally turns around and Dan turns back to the table, pouring himself another cup. Both of them are taking casual sips of their cups.
DAD. Your friend was a fucking druggie. He wasn’t worth nothin’.
Some people in the room are shocked, but the narrator continues pouring himself wine. Dan immediately turns around and starts to slowly walk towards his dad. The narrator then turns around and follows close behind.
DAN. What’d you say?
DAD. You heard me, your friend was a waste of life! I don’t know what anybody’s doin’ here, payin’ homage to him. (Pause while everybody stares at him, Dan and Narrator being the closest.) And you’re paying tribute? (Points to Dan’s cup.) Drinking yourself to death, is that it?
NARRATOR MAN. There was a time when we called him Johnny Walker.
Narrator smiles
DAD. Your bimbo friend told about us your two day drinking escapade. Maybe you’re just miserable and worthless too, you fuckin’ runt.
MOM. Robert!
DAN. Don’t you talk to me about drinking!
DAD. Why not? I’m still alive, aren’t I?
DAN. So am I!
DAD. No way. You’re dead and gone. I can see it in you. You wanna drink yourself into oblivion? (He gets up in his face, pointing at him.) That’s fine, but I am washing my hands of you. (Long pause.) Meredith, let’s go!
NARRATOR MAN. Now, really, let me know how you feel!
Dad walks offstage R. Mom quickly pours herself a cup of wine and downs it, wincing the way that one does when they’re not prepared for alcohol’s taste.
DAD. (From offstage.) C’mon!
MOM. Coming! (She begins to exit when she hugs Dan. She is nearly whispering.) I love you, darling.
Dan looks into her eyes angrily.
DAN. (Growling) Leave.
She walks offstage R. Long Pause. Narrator discovers his cup is now empty.
NARRATOR MAN. Well, I know what’s it’s time for.
Narrator turns around and grabs one of the wine bottles, taking a swig. Alice gets out of her chair and starts to walk towards Dan.
DAN. I’m sorry he said that about you.
ALICE. It’s okay…
DAN. Stop, please. (Alice stops where she is.) I might call you tomorrow, or the day after, but I can’t do this now.
Dan turns and starts to walk out. He turns to his head to look at Alice to see that she has begun to slowly approach him again. When he sees this, he quickly walks over to the table stage R and reaches for one of the bottles of wine.
NARRATOR MAN. Take the zinfandel, fuck the merlot.
He takes a bottle of White Zinfandel.
ALICE. Daniel, what’re you doing?
NARRATOR and DAN. How many times do I have to tell you?
ALICE. Please don’t do this. I can’t stand anymore of this. (Dan begins to walk out again.) Listen, I’m sorry. Please, just stop. (Dan stops in place and takes a small pill canister out of his inner jacket pocket. He sets the wine bottle on the floor to take the pills, but before he does Alice cries out.) Dan, what are those? (Silence.) Don’t do this to me.
DAN. Why not? What’s your fucking issue? I’m a piece of shit, ain’t I? A drug addled monkey, I recall. Do you think that I honestly think you care? Pfft, you just need a shoulde-
ALICE. I CAN’T STAND THIS ANYMORE. You can’t die too, Dan. Don’t you understand? I need you please. (Silence. They stand staring at each other, until Alice comes rushing over and knocks the pills out of his hands.) You’re going to die, Dan.
DAN. (Under his breath.) Seems in fashion. (He picks up the bottle and takes a swig. So does the Narrator. Dan tries walking out again. Alice grabs his arm.) Let go of me, Alice.
He keeps on going until she falls on her knees, gripping onto his leg, beginning to cry.
ALICE. Please. Please, don’t.
She’s hitting his leg now, still crying.
DAN. Goodbye, Alice.
He kicks her off and leaves Stage R. Alice stays there on her knees crying. Narrator walks up to her kneels down to her.
NARRATOR MAN. Close, but no cigar. (He gets up, walks to Center Stage while taking another chug and the rest of the stage darkens.) I’ve thought about that day for so long. Before this whole fiasco with my father (Pause.) with Alice, I was talking to many people at this funeral. Friends, acquaintances, John’s relatives, anybody who I could share my show with. We would share memories from his childhood and his older days. However, the thing that I heard the most was this sentiment, “I wish I had stopped him.” Or people regretting money they’d loan to him that they’d now never get back. Or they regretted possibly encouraging his behavior. Or they got high with him a few times. Everybody yearned to have him there with them. (Pause. Narrator looks at the floor and takes a swig from the bottle. He looks up.) I didn’t feel the same. I’d had many chances to stop him, but think about it. It wouldn’t have been worth it. I know what would’ve happened. I would’ve asked him nicely. I would tell him that I loved him like some bumbling drunk and tell him that his problem was hurting me. He would’ve pushed away from me, accusing me of being some authority figure and that he didn’t need to be bossed around by me. He would’ve ended with a quaint “fuck you.” I would stand there with my heart in my hands while John would walk away. (Pause. He takes another swig from the bottle.) I really wouldn’t have ever stopped him. If I did, he wouldn’t want to be near me. He was going to die either way. I would rather be on speaking terms with the bastard before he keeled over. (Pause. He takes another swig.) Lo and behold, that’s how it turned out. I always did miss talking to him. I wish I could talk to him now. (Pause. He takes a final swig and sets the bottle down on the floor. He begins to take the pack of cigarettes out of his inner pocket and he’s looking around) He should be here. (He takes out the pack only to figure out that it is empty. He stares at it for a while, breathily heavily.) GODAMMIT!
He throws the pack down and storms off stage L. The announcer walks back out to where he was at the very beginning of the play.
ANNOUNCER. Now you’ve seen a man at his wits end, losing the will to live. Another losing his life and his lover losing her human assets. You’ve heard the music of their suffering, the secret love revealed and discounted and the hilariousness of the dead. (Pause.) Good night, Ladies & Gentlemen.
He bows and walks off stage. Whole stage darkens. Play ends.
No comments:
Post a Comment